Monday, August 10, 2015

Top 5 Most Challenging Places to Bring Children

My husband works a lot and I'm often totally on my own with my three kids and we don't have family close enough to baby-sit or take the kids for a weekend. Yes, one of my kids is almost a teenager, but don't let that fool you into thinking it makes it easier. He helps, a lot. More than most twelve year old boys would, but he is often bored out of his mind because of all the little girl things that take place in our house.

I've compiled a list of the top five hardest places to go with young children in tow and how to arm yourself accordingly.

5. Grocery Store- This one isn't too bad, challenging, but do-able. My 17 month old hasn't figured out that she can get down and walk yet and I'm sure once that happens it's a whole new ball game at Wal-Mart. To survive, make a list and map out a route beforehand so when you get to the store you know exactly where you are going and what you need. On too many occasions I've had all three kids with me and they start losing their patience one by one and I get flustered and forget a handful of things only to have to *gulp* return the next day for said items. If all hell breaks loose, but them each a doughnut and haul ass to the check out line.

4. The Vet- I recently had to endure this challenge after getting our new puppy,  Holly. Yup! All three kids came with me. Make the appointment as early as possible. Everyone is much happier first thing in the morning, especially after a good breakfast. Just like the doctors office, appointments show up late, run long and the later in the afternoon you arrive, the more of a chance you will have to wait forever. Snagging one of the first appointment times ensures you will be seen quickly.

3. Street Fair- Our town has one every year called Steppin Out and it's great and there is so much to do. It's also in August, so it's hot and crowded and overwhelming for little ones. Tips are simple. Babywear! I had my youngest, Mavis, in the Ergo.  It's tricky trying to keep up with two other kids in the crowd while maneuvering a stroller through hundreds of people. It also made it easy for me to walk in and out of the different booths quickly. Start with the boring stuff, the stuff you want to look at, then work your way to the kid friendly activities. Why? There is no way that after two hours of sand art, face painting, and fun kid stuff that they are then going to want to browse the hand carved wood, or homemade candles.

2. Road trips- If you have more than one kid or a child who hates the car then you know how hard this can be. I'll never forget a 7 hour car trip with my oldest when he was around 12 months old and he cried the whole way. My dad and I sang Row Row Row Your Boat three hundred times because for some reason it made him stop crying.  If your like me, and freak about safety, then your youngest is probably still rear facing. So much for that DVD system because they can't even see it.

 The truth is, there is no toy or movie that makes long tips easier on little ones. Patience and practice are your best friends. Take a few practice drives beforehand so the real thing isn't a huge shock. Be patient and have realistic expectations. You can't drive five hours straight and know that it's okay to have to stop every two hours and snuggle your kids and let them run around Chic-fil-A for an hour before heading out again.  Be prepared to entertain! Exhausting, I know. But towards the end of an eight and a half hour drive my youngest was just done. Ready to be free. Me sitting in the back with her and reading her books, playing peek-a-boo, and holding her hand went a long way. I'd be pissed too if I had to stare at the back of a seat for an entire day. Never underestimate the power of cookies.

1. Your Own Doctor's Appointment- Ah- this one is tricky. I've had to do this before and let me tell you, it gets awkward. My oldest is 12 and a boy and there is nothing weirder then him tagging along at my OB appointment. He is at that age where it's kind of, sort of, maybe, maybe not okay for him to be at home alone. I go back and forth constantly. At the doctor's office, he can't exactly be in the room with me. He can sit in the lobby, but then I feel bad that he is out there alone for 30+ minutes while I'm in the room with the two girls. So what do you do? If you can't find someone to go with you or watch them, let the office know you are bringing your kids with you, they are probably used to it. And again, like with the vet, schedule your appointment for the earliest time they have! Bring them back in the room with you, then just have the older one step out while your being examined.


Mom's are superhero's and we are capable of doing anything. Be brave. Be calm. And even if your kid is going completely nuclear in Target, you're not the first mom this has ever happened to, your child isn't the devil, and it's going to be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment