Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Dear Working Mama


Dear Working Mama,

You are amazing and strong for going back to work. Maybe you wanted to go back to work because you spent a lot of time earning a degree and getting a great job and you don't want all your amazing hard work to be for nothing. Maybe you have to go back because your family needs your income. Whatever the reason, I know it's not easy leaving your baby every morning.

 It's hard getting three kids out the door and lunches made, but you probably have to do the same AND get yourself ready.  I'm lucky if I shower every two days and look at you ready for work at 8am! You're awesome!

I know you sometimes cry after you drop your baby off because you feel guilty. I don't know how you do it and I admire your strength.

When I'm home nursing my baby I know you have to sit in the break room pumping, wishing you were home, or hoping whoever is watching your baby is mixing the formula correctly and that she will actually take a bottle from someone other than you. Your determination is incredible. 

I know after a long work day you still have to come home and cook dinner, and help with homework.

After my kids go to bed I can relax, but I know you are probably catching up on work you didn't finish because you were pumping, or calling the daycare, or maybe you were daydreaming about your beautiful baby. 

I know it's annoying when people look at you with judgement and say, " Don't you want to stay home?" 

When I'm having a rough day, secretly wishing I went back to work, I know you wish you could stay at home.

When I lay my baby down for a nap, I know how badly it hurts you that yours is falling asleep with someone else. The way you stay calm and continue your work day is amazing.

Sometimes I envy you-- I envy the career you have and wonder how exciting your day is. There is no routine and nap times. There are business lunches and interaction with someone other than a tiny version of yourself.

But then I realize you might envy me too. I bet you wish you could hang in your pj's all day sipping coffee, spending time with your babies. We can be friends and share pieces of each other's worlds with one another. Because the grass is always greener, right?

 Going back to work doesn't make you a bad mother, it makes you an amazing mother. You deserve more recognition for the tough decisions you are forced to make every single day and I think you rock!

Love,
The Stay At Home Mama



No comments:

Post a Comment